Our contractor tells us what to do, when to do it, and how to do it. They are the captain of our project ship – guiding us in achieving our goals with minimal hassle. The best part? You can take this quick quiz below to find out if you even need a general contractor (GC) in the first place!
1. How complex is your project?
- a) We’re building an addition on top of an existing structure; therefore, we’ll be dealing with many different aspects like permits, zoning regulations, structural engineering issues, etc. Our GC will play an integral role in helping manage all these moving parts.
- b) This is a fairly simple home renovation project; it should go smoothly without any major hurdles along the way.
- c) This is a fairly simple project, but we may have to work with some products or materials that are new to us. Our GC will manage the suppliers and subcontractors who have experience in this area.
2. Is your project located in a big city?
- a) Since I’m building on my property, it doesn’t matter if it’s located in the heart of downtown – I just need to coordinate directly with my local municipality regarding any government approvals needed for the construction.
- b) Our project is located within the district; we’ll also need to apply for permits and licenses from other organizations that oversee zoning regulations and building codes for this specific neighborhood.
- c) Even though our project is small, we’re working on an historic site that requires significant restoration. Since this is a big project, we’ll probably need to hire multiple subcontractors and suppliers for the work they will provide.
3. How much control do you want over your project?
- a) My GC has guided us through every step of the way; they let us know what type of construction materials are most suitable for our renovation project, how long it’s going to take, and most importantly – how much everything will cost.
- b) I expect my GC to guide us through each step of the process but not take over decision-making authority from us as the client.
- c) We’ve been working with our GC on several other projects in recent years so we have a good rapport going with them already. We want them to be our partner in this renovation project, but we also need to know that they will respect the design decisions we made during the planning process.
4. How comfortable are you with construction-related tasks?
- a) Because I’m so involved with my project on a day-to-day basis, I don’t need any help or supervision regarding the overall progress of my renovation.
- b) Since this is my first time building, I’ll feel more at ease knowing that there’s someone overseeing all aspects of our project and making sure everything is moving forward as it should be.
- c) I want control over my project, but since it’s fairly complex and located within an historic site, I also understand that it might require a specialist in our municipality to ensure that all necessary work is done properly.
5. How much expertise do you have in construction-related tasks?
- a) I’ve been involved with my project from start to finish, so I know exactly what needs to be done and when it should be completed.
- b) While this is my first time building a home, I’ve spent a lot of time researching different types of construction materials and how they can best suit the overall design plans for our renovation project.
- c) I’ve worked with my GC on multiple projects over the last few years, but we only communicate about design-related matters through drawings and sketches because I prefer the level of accuracy that comes along with that type of interpretation.
6. What is your budget for this project?
- a) Our renovation will be relatively inexpensive (we’re not completely gutting our home). We’ve worked with our GC to develop a plan that fits within our budgetary requirements.
- b) Since we’re dealing with a historic site, we had to increase our budget for this renovation project in order to compensate for the additional expenses involved in getting everything done properly.
- c) The materials used during our renovation are expensive because they have to meet certain environmental standards that are required by the municipality where we live. Nevertheless, I don’t want my GC to cut any corners while following through on this project.
If you answered mostly A’s, then you’ll probably need a general contractor for your building or renovation project! General contractors can help guide you through the various steps involved with a construction project and make sure everything is completed on time and within your budget. For your general contractor, be sure to hire one that has experience working on projects similar to yours and will be able to provide you with references upon request.
If you answered mostly B’s, then you might not need a general contractor for your building or renovation project. You can definitely choose to hire someone from our team as well! Make sure the subcontractors and suppliers that they’re using have good reviews from previous customers as well as liability insurance coverage in case there are any issues during the course of your project.
If you answered mostly C’s, then it sounds like you already have a general contractor for your project! Make sure you’ve been communicating with them about all of the design-related decisions that need to be made and don’t forget to schedule regular meetings throughout the construction process.
Are You Looking for a General Contractor You Can Trust?
If you’re considering a whole house, kitchen or bathroom remodel, New Key Construction, based in Walnut Creek California, is here to serve you. Our passion is to be the home for talented craftsmen who deliver beautiful projects to clients throughout the SF East Bay Area! Choosing the right general contractor for your project can be difficult, but we make things easy by focusing on Your Experience, Client Communication, Cutting Edge Technology and Pushing Our Design and Build Limits! If we could have one goal, it would be that when someone you know is looking for a contractor you highly recommend our company because of the experience we deliver for you! Check out our website, our portfolio and our reviews to learn more – or give us a call today.